Wednesday, July 9, 2014

String Piecing

Back in March I decided to try some string piecing. Not sure just what got me going, but I was having a good time of it. Over the next few weeks I plugged away, and wound up with 16 blocks. It got put on the back burner for awhile as writing projects intervened, but yesterday I got back at it and did another 8 blocks. (I must have done a few more in there somewhere because I have 43 blocks total.)

While I'm using true scraps—and having so much fun remembering just which projects the strips originally appeared in—I'm trying for a little consistency by including red and/or turquoise and/or black in every block. I'm piecing on newsprint, with a white strip diagonally centered on each square.
I'm using a 9.5 inch square ruler, so my blocks will finish at 9 (it's the biggest one I have) and I'm trying to decide how big to make it. If I make it 7 blocks both ways, I'll wind up with a 63" square, but I might go with 8 blocks one way to make it long enough for a tall guy (like the one I'm married to) to cover up comfortably. I'm not even sure I'll be keeping it though. 
Do you have a favorite/most useful size that you tend to make?

5 comments:

Karen said...

These are going to make a great quilt!!! I just donated my string quilt I made quite some time ago...just coyldnt part with it for a bit. I like longer quilts for tall people, good to cuddle in and completely cover toes.

William said...

A rather wild but charming, bright and eye catching pattern. BK

antique quilter said...

I have wanted to make a string quilt for a while
you have inspired me to just start making blocks…
I tend to make smaller blocks 6" being the largest!
3" nine patches my favorite! quilt I am working on now will finish at 7" blocks and it feels huge! LOL
I will make larger string blocks though to show off the fabrics...
Kathie

Sallie B. said...

That is beautiful! It is what my 96-year old friend calls a "real" quilt.
I like rectangular quilts, so I'd say 7x8.

Linzee said...

Thanks to all for your helpful and kind input. And Sallie B, I take that as a real compliment!