Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Something Old and Something New

For a couple of weeks life has been slightly calmer than it was before the holidays and I've managed to sneak in a bit of sewing. I finished up a baby quilt that was more than two years in the making—once I'd gotten it bound I worried that there wasn't enough quilting on something that would inevitably get washed a lot, so I added more quilting around the borders. Then it took me a mere two weeks to actually get a label made and send it off...why do those last little pieces of the puzzle inevitably take so long?

The quilt is from a bunch of Heather Bailey fabrics, with a stripe and polka dot thrown in to keep it interesting. The back wound up being totally pieced because I didn't want to buy anything more--it's a little crazy, but I love the feeling of really using my stash to the max.

Pieced back
Then I finished piecing the quilt top I started in October at Lake Tahoe. I've still got to figure out a border for this (although I've got the start of an idea). Hanging it outside on a warm winter day (that would be a day that it got up in the 40s—warmth in Iowa in January is relative), the colors created such a stark contrast to the season's drab tones and made me very happy.

Finally, must add a link to the post I wrote for Moda about their Nancy Drew fabrics. I waxed a little rhapsodic about them, as I not only loved reading Nancy Drew, but have a personal link to the author of 23 of the first 30 books. Check out the story (and some of the fabric) here.


3 comments:

Casandra said...

I love reading your blog! I admire your work and just had to smile when I saw your quilts on the clothesline on a winter day. I just did the same thing today and it was funny to see lovely bright quilts in my dead winter backyard!

Waterrose said...

I just read your post on Etsy about printmaker Tim Fay...thanks for sharing his story. It's so great to see people keeping the past alive. Now to read your blog.

fabriquefantastique said...

Those quilts look stiff on the line.....can't do them any harm...