Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Quilting for Charity



My quilt guild has a devoted group of charity quilters. They make quilts for cancer patients, for young, single moms, for the domestic violence project, and for stillborn babies. At each meeting they share the quilts that people contribute and I kid you not, there are often gasps from the onlookers when they see the quilts that people make to give to people they'll likely never know. Their generosity is astounding.

So it is with the two women in my Etsy post that went up today: Victoria Findlay Wolfe and Anna Maria Horner. Both have committed themselves to making quilts for people in need, and both have taken on projects on a grand scale. With the help of their blogs they're collecting quilts (Victoria) and blocks (Anna Maria) and producing finished quilts that will warm the lives of people they've never met.

I learned of Victoria's project when I stumbled upon her blog and Anna Maria told me about her quilt project when we chatted at Spring Quilt Market. It was a treat to be able to combine the two projects and a treat that Etsy was interested in sharing their projects with their wide readership. I'm always so happy when I can do some good with my writing (which is not to say I knowingly do bad...really). But so much of the writing I do isn't directly quantifiable...that is, I can never be sure it's helping make the world a better place. Being able to share the work of Victoria (one of her quilts is above) and Anna Maria (who made the video up top, celebrating the blocks she's received thus far), who definitely ARE doing just that, makes me feel great!

Someone on Victoria's blog commented that her project reminded them of the Mother Teresa quote: "We can do no great things, only small things with great love." While I might not classify these block and quilt gatherings as small things, I know from talking to both women that they are certainly being done with great love, providing tangible evidence to people in need that  they are not alone or forgotten.

3 comments:

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Thank you so much Linzee! It's a lovely article! I thank you for thinking of my project and hope that it brings MANY things to many different types of charities...

Suze said...

Hi, Linzee,
I heard about your blog from my daughter, Molly.
I started quilting about 28 years ago when I was pregnant with Molly!
I have quite a few "quilt" friends and we get together as often as we can to sew all day.
I have been looking for a way to donate quilts, so when I saw your latest post, I was thrilled. I am going to send something soon and want to enlist my friends to make a quilt or two together when we sew that we can send.
I was at Molly and Donnie's Monday and love to look at your fence and flowers.
Suze

Linzee said...

Tried to email you directly, Suze, but no luck. Thanks so much for writing! We love having Donnie and Molly (and Oliver) in the neighborhood. Molly told me that you were a quilter...

Thanks for the kind words about my garden--you'll have to come in the back the next time you're in town!