Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Spring is (briefly) in the air!

It was in the 50s today and sunny. I walked home from work, splashing in puddles and slowly removing layers of clothing. By the time I got home, scarf, hat, coat, and gloves were gone and I walked Pearl around the block without a jacket. People were riding bikes, walking dogs and babies, smiling at one another.

No butterflies out yet, but this is one I embroidered during college. I worked as a counselor at Camp Northland for Girls on Lake Burntside near Ely, MN (where I'd also been a camper) and it was during the height of the '70s embroidery craze (it was on a par with macrame mania). I've saved this work shirt all these years: alas, my also-embroidered overalls have disappeared.

4 comments:

Anne C said...

Hi Linzee - I LOVE seeing the work shir embroidery after sooo many years - I wish that I still had mine but by now it is in a thrift shop or at the bottom of someone's rag bag....I love your blog even though it makes me feel very uncreative and dull! I am impressed that you saved the shirt for so many years and I can still see you wearing it along the shores of Lake Burntside.
I love the blog and am going to look for a button lady in NYC!

with love from NYC

Anne C said...

Hi Linzee - I LOVE seeing the work shir embroidery after sooo many years - I wish that I still had mine but by now it is in a thrift shop or at the bottom of someone's rag bag....I love your blog even though it makes me feel very uncreative and dull! I am impressed that you saved the shirt for so many years and I can still see you wearing it along the shores of Lake Burntside.
I love the blog and am going to look for a button lady in NYC!

with love from NYC

Lori Aronson Ratner said...

I can't begin to tell you how excited I was to come across your page in a google search. I've recently started searching for other campers from Camp Northland for Girls. I was a camper in the late 70's/early 80's and am looking to reconnect with and meet other campers who (hopefully) had the same magical experience that I did. If you can help me in my search or would just like to say hi, please feel free to get in touch with me. I started a group on Facebook and am looking to find people through that venue as well. Thanks for the great page - I totally forgot about the embroidery! I still have my paddle and beret... Lori Aronson Ratner

Anonymous said...

Hello -
I am trying to compile historical information about Camp Northland, along with pictures from before it was purchased by the YMCA in the early 80's. I am a long time camper of Camp duNord (34yrs)and we are approaching our 50th anniversary. I would like to include some information about Camp Northland prior to duNord owning the property. There have been many changes made to that end of camp, so I would like to make sure campers can get a glimpse of Camp Northland for Girls. My email is winter_green72@hotmail.com.
thank you. Katie